Sometimes poor venting, not the appliance itself, is the problem. Examples are improper installation, cracked or rusted-through vent pipes, loose bricks blocking a chimney, or a blocked flue pipe due to a bird’s nest. When combustion byproducts cannot vent properly, carbon monoxide spills back into the living space and creates a dangerous situation.
Tip: Ensure that a qualified professional checks all natural gas appliances for proper operation and venting. This includes a thorough visual inspection of the condition of vent piping. A good cleaning and proper burner air adjustment can correct some deficiencies. A carbon monoxide (CO) detector should be installed on every floor of your home for safety. Remember, carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.